Translate

Monday 31 March 2014

England team selection

Less moaning in this post, just a view on who should be getting on the plane to Brazil. First off thinking about how to go about picking the squad, in my view I would decide on what formation I want to play. Picking the formation should be based on two things, firstly what formation allows the most of my best available top players play in their best position and secondly what formation are my players playing at club level. If I was Mr Hodgson I think I would settle on a 4-2-3-1, the big English clubs are either playing this or a similar 4-3-3 system so the players should find it easier to fit in than adapting to a strict 4-4-2 or 5-3-2, and should also play to the strengths of the fullbacks who are naturally more attacking than defensive, but tactics is for another post.
So formation picked so time to pick some players, sadly in some areas we are not thick with talent but I do hope a better player is not played out of position, let's play the best player that plays in that position and be brave enough to leave a big name or two on the bench.
Goal
One of my big moans with England is that different keepers are not used for at least half of the friendly games so Hart is the only guy with real experience, so is first choice, my other moan is that the World Cup is not that many games lets just take two keepers, if one gets suspended then use the other, if one is injured call up a replacement. So Hart and Ruddy.
Defence
Left full back, spoilt for choice four or five good options I'd go for Baines and Shaw. Right full back, less sure on these I suppose Johnson and Walker, Centre backs, with Terry and Ferdinand looking set not to feature we are well short in this department, I would go for Cahill, Jagielka, Jones and Stones.
Midfield
Defensive two Gerrard, Lampard, Wilkshire and Henderson, all good no worries
Attacking midfield three Lalana, Rooney, Wellbeck, Sterling, Rodrigues, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Barkley.
Striker
Sturridge  and Lambert

No comments:

Post a Comment